Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Book Club: Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

If it isn't totally clear I really love Liane Moriarty's books! This is the second one I've read and I have another one in my queue. Big Little Lies starts off a little different from the ones I have read in the past. It starts off with someone who isn't actually a regular member of the plot and it starts with a murder.  We jump back to the past and meet Madeline, a feisty mom whose youngest daughter goes to preschool with her ex-husbands daughter. Celeste, a beautiful flustered mom of twins (also in the same preschool) with a gorgeous husband and life to go with it. Finally Jane, new to town single mom to Ziggy who just so happens to be in the same preschool class.

{image}
This story we intense for me. I loved the dynamic of the characters and how real the story lines could be, but of course there is a little bit of fantasticality that lends itself to the book. All of their stories converge on the way to preschool orientation where Madeline stops to confront a driving texter and end of twisting her ankle in the middle of the road, Jane witnesses the fall and helps her back to her car and takes all the children to preschool. Madeline insists Jane join her and Celeste for brunch as a thank you. Once they go back to pick up their children they learn that one of the children has been accused of bullying and the blame is put on the new Ziggy, Jane's son.

There is so much to say about this one! Ms. Moriarty fills this book with betrayals, secrets, fights, among all characters, parents, spouses, children, moms and full on clique wars. I realize that this sounds like such an immature book but I really loved it, I felt connected to the characters and wanted to know more about them. I loved the little snippets you learned before and after each chapter as parents were being interviewed about the murder we hear about at the very beginning of the book. I was so touched by one of the characters I cried for the complete last 100 pages. This book isn't too complex which is what would make it a great beach or pool read, but I do think it raises some interesting subjects that would be great to discuss in a book club if they can handle slightly over the top characters and situations. All in all I loved it and will definitely be reading What Alice Forgot!

Have you guys read any of her other books?

p.s. Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman in a miniseries?! Yes PLEASE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...