Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Book Club: The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer

The Interestings is book about a group of teenagers who went to a camp for the arts who stayed in each other's lives well past camp.

It mainly revolves around Jules, a shy girl trying to find comedic voice; Ethan, a very talented animator; and Ash, a beautiful actress and wannabe director. We meet them as shy teenagers along with Jonah, Cathy, and Goodman. They vow to stay friends after camp and they do. Once they leave they return to Ash's and Goodman, her brothers house, the Labyrinth and compete they pact. Something happens on New Years that changes the dynamic of the group and their lives forever.

We learn more about their time before camp and how it impacts their adulthood and their relationships with each other and how they became The Interestings.
{image}


I had a hard time following this book because it was so boring to me! I hate saying that but if a book is titled The Interestings it can't be uninteresting right? I could barely tell you what this book was really about I was so bored by it. It could be intriguing to some people but I found every plot line totally dull and found myself so distracted while reading it. There were plots that should have been awesome rabbit holes but it was all so surface level that I just didn't care. I had a hard time remembering who was who because their introduction was so bare. I think this was the first time I haven't had a clear picture of a character when reading a book. Part of the problem was the author told us about the characters rather than letting it show through the character. How are we supposed to root for Jules to go into comedy if we just hear she is funny and not hear her actually say anything that is funny? Ash is pretty and delicate yet I have no idea what she looks like. These things are necessary for me to get into a book.

I know several people who really liked this book whose opinions I value but I cannot recommend this book.

If you have read this and like it please let me know in the comments! Am missing something? What did you like about it?

2 comments:

  1. Ugh I hate when you're let down by a book - such a bummer! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I really shouldn't have forced it. I put it down a couple times and should have just kept it down. Thankfully I'm reading one I really like now!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...