Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Book Club: The Girl on the Train By: Paula Hawkins

I caved and picked The Girl on the Train from Barnes and Nobel a few weeks ago.  I picked it up initially because I was a girl on the train a couple years ago and would often think about the people and places I would pass on a regular basis.

{image}
The Girl on the Train follows Rachel, a divorcee as she rides her daily train to and from the city. She makes up little personas for the people she sees from her seat on the train. There is a sweet couple she frequently sees and they are madly in love and do everything for one another until one day Rachel sees the wife with another man! A few days later the wife turns up missing. Rachel feels compelled to tell the police what she saw. The only problem is Rachel is a very unreliable witness. Rachel is an alcoholic and was seen in the neighborhood the night the young wife went missing with no memory of what really happened.

This story is told from three perspectives and about 2 different timelines which can start off confusing but once you establish who is who it's easy to see where each player is placed. I don't want to write too much because I'll just tell the whole story!

I really liked this book and I also got very annoyed with it because Rachel is so unreliable and she messes up right when you want her to do the right thing! But that's what makes it so good! There was even a twist that totally broadsided me! This was definitely a 5 out of 5 for me. It was so vivid, I really felt like I saw what I was meant to see and blurry where Rachel was drinking, blacking out or in her own fantasy. It drove me crazy in the best way, it was so popular that when I brought it to book club 2 of us brought it and both were snatched up during the first round!

Please let me know if you have read this book and what you thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...