Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Book Club: Where'd You Go, Bernadette? By Maria Semple

This was a super quick read, like if you wanted to you could probably finish it in about four hours. I liked the start of this book however it started to get a little boring and frankly just too unbelievable. I know this isn't supposed to be a true story but there were just too many things for me to just turn the cheek on.

This book is about Bernadette and her husband, Elgin and daughter, Bee who are living in Seattle. Elgin is a Microsoft guru and Bee is head of her
{image}
class, quickly surpassing those in her grade. Bee plans a trip to Antarctica as a reward for her perfect report card. This comes as a problem as Bernadette who was once a promising architect is now a recluse who has all of her needs fulfilled by Manjula, her personal assistant in India. It comes as no surprise that Bernadette mysteriously disappears and it's up to Bee to find her.

The whole first 2/3 of this book are correspondence between an whole number of people, neighbors, assistants, personal assistance, and just notes passed. Bee needs to put all of this together to figure out where her mother has gone. It was mostly funny but also mostly ridiculous. As another reviewer wrote, "Cry me a river, Bernadette"! Bernadette is supposed to be a brilliant architect, yet she only built 2 houses, ever! How do you get a MacArther Grant out of that? As far as I could tell she wasn't serving any charitable cause. Juuuuust saying. She clearly had some kind of mental breakdown and her husband did nothing to help her! If this was supposed to be a light read I would have wanted it to be funnier, then obviously the ridiculousness would be just that.

I can't in good conscience recommend this book. Maybe my reading style is too type A but this story just got away from me and probably got a little bit away from itself. However I would LOVE to hear from people that liked it, maybe you can convince me to like it too! :)

Have you read Where'd You Go, Bernadette? What did you think? Let me know in the comments!

Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...