Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Book Club: The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

I finally finished The Cuckoo's Calling! It took me much longer to get through than I anticipated, mostly because it was written by JK Rowling and I flew through Harry Potters like they were picture books. Yes, yes, I know this book has nothing to do with Harry Potter but I expected to get sucked in the same way.

{image}
The Cuckoo's Calling revolves around Cormoran Strike as he investigates the suicide and possible murder of Lula Landry, a young and beautiful high fashion model. He takes this case on the heels of a break up and bills piling high in his mailbox. The book opens with his new temp coming in for her first day on the job only to be attacked by her employer himself out of shock. The new temp, Robin is more adequate than any other temp he has had and helps Cormoran solve this mystery with her street smarts and quick thinking. Harry and Hermione anyone?

I did really like this book but I think I would only give it a 3.5 out of 5. There was a twist I wasn't expecting but this didn't have me on the edge of my seat and didn't leave me sleepless trying to finish. I have read this will be a series which I wouldn't be against reading but I wouldn't put it on the top of my list. I have also heard this might be a TV series. I would be so interested to see who they choose to play the three main characters, who in my eyes are Cormoran, Robin, and Lula. {She has already written a second one, The Silkworm.}

One thing that bothers me is I can't really figure out the title. Once I read it I understand parts of it but I don't really understand why she decided on this title in particular. Can anyone let me know why she titled it this way?  The references seem so loose and not to be a main part of the investigation or story. Just wandering if you have any thoughts! Let me know, did you read Cuckoo's Calling? What did you think? What do you think of the title? Let me know in the comments!

Marisa

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...