Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Book Club: The Night Circus by: Erin Morgenstern

During my little hiatus I read only a couple books, as I was sick and so busy I just didn't get in as much reading as usual.

{image}
I finished The Night Circus and I was a little disappointed. I think I had built it up in my head to be more fantastical than it ended up being. Don't get me wrong it was a great book and I would recommend it but it would only give it 3 out of 5. I had been wanting to read this book for about 3 years and never got around to picking it up and when it came up at book club I knew I had to get it.

The Night Circus is about a mysterious circus that materializes in the night with no warning or preamble, and it's possibly the most magical and wonderful circus in the world. There are revelers that come from far and wide to see the circus and follow it as far as their money will take them. There is a secret within the circus and a competition between magicians who have been trained nearly their whole lives to compete. The competitors don't know who they are competing against, what the prize is and what the punishments will be if they drop out.

This is a great premise and it would have completely won me over had the author not strayed from the main story. In the middle it gets bogged down with details and other uninteresting characters when there were other far more interesting characters I would have liked to get to know. I think this book would have been far better as a collection of short stories about the circus, I would have read those in a second!

I can't say I wouldn't recommend this book because I would, it was a good read and I think it would be a much better beach read than holed up on a winter night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...