Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Book Club: Reconstructing Amelia by: Kimberly McCreight

I finished this book right in the nick of time before book club! Honestly I just couldn't put it down so I probably would have finished it while we were there anyway.

{image}
This book is about a single mother, Kate and her daughter Amelia in New York. Kate is on the brink of really huge case and coming into her career and Amelia is in her sophomore year of high school. It all turns around when Kate gets a call right before a huge meeting to hear that her honor roll daughter was caught plagiarizing. While navigating her way through subways and traffic Kate comes to the front of the school only to see a crime scene. It appears Amelia jumped from the roof. We read journal entries, Facebook statuses and texts to puzzle it all together to find out what really happened on the roof.

This book really pulls apart high school and what it means to be popular, how to be a good friend and how simple misunderstandings can lead you down a path you didn't know you were on. It pulls apart the mother daughter relationship, the one you have and the one you think you have.

I know a lot of people compare it to Gone Girl which I don't agree with, it's more of a Gossip Girl thriller. {I mean I loved the Gossip Girl books and the TV show in high school and college!} This book also makes me want to burn any journals I have ever kept. Not only are they mortifying, they show the most emotional parts of my life at the time, which are not always the real story, not that I lied to my journal but I think I tend to either gloss over something or meticulously examine it.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this book. I thought it was well written, thought provoking and I couldn't put it down!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...