Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Book Club: One Good Turn by: Kate Atkinson

One Good Turn is kind of like the movie Crash but set in the UK. It's like that in the fact that everyone is somehow connected to the story and you don't find out until the end how they are connected. Everything revolves around what looks like a case of road rage and escalates into murder, theft, extortion, divorce, money laundering and so much more.

{image}
The cast of characters take you all over the place in just three days, but also flashes you back to last year, and into the fantasy world of the same character. I found the story line a bit hard to follow. For me I have been reading so many books with multiple story lines that I just started to get lost. It reads like a screen play, I wish I had assigned actors I know to certain roles. I think I would have been able to remember who was who and who did what. I know there were some story lines that simply dropped off. I would not recommend any long pauses in between reading. Even with regular reading I found myself rereading parts to make sure I hadn't missed anything. I'm still trying to remember who did what and to whom! I also wish the ending had a bit more of a bang but with so much going on I expected a big ending.

Overall this was a good book but not a great one. It's a step above beach reading. It's not too heavy, at least in my opinion, and it's interesting enough that you can entertain yourself but not enough that you won't remember to reapply sunscreen. I might have had a stronger appreciation for this if I had read her first book. Jackson Brodie is a character in that one that flows into One Good Turn from her first novel. I have heard great things about her first novel, Case Histories.

So tell me, have you read One Good Turn? What did you think? Let me know in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...