Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Book Club: All the Light We Cannot See by: Anthony Doerr

After what felt like an eternity, I finally finished All the Light We Cannot See. There are 530 pages girl! But in my opinion, it is totally worth it! I loved this book! Long story short: Twin stories of blind French Marie-Laure and a radio obsessed orphaned German, Werner's lives throughout World War II who's worlds collide at the very very end. (Like page 469/530) This was so beautifully written, the prose was just gorgeous, even the intricate, technical language was beautiful to read. I couldn't put it down!
{image}

This is a different angle than I am used to reading regarding novels about WWII. Neither character is Jewish, however you get to see the propaganda through their eyes. How confusing that must have been, and how heavy the feeling of betrayal of your country, to be lied to and think you are a 'good guy' only to find out you're representing monsters, yet having to keep up the facade to stay alive. It is all so intricately woven much more beautifully than I could ever explain. 

There were moments when I couldn't read fast enough and was literally biting my nails. The book jumps back and forth between 1939 and 1945, which can be confusing at times, especially if you don't read the chapter titles like I did! The book then brings us all the way to the present. When I finally finished I felt exhausted, like I had held my breath for the entirety of the book.

I would highly highly recommend picking this up. Especially if you like WWII novels. This is literally a perspective I have never read from and I just fell in love with it.

Have you read this gem? What did you think? What should I read next? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...