Thursday, June 26, 2014

Book Club: How I Live Now, By Meg Rosoff

This book was...weird. I think it might just no be to my taste. I found it confusing, and very bare bones, which some people may enjoy. Apparently a lot of people have since it won the Guardian Children's Fiction Prize. How I Live Now is about 15 year old New Yorker, Daisy, who has been sent to stay with her Aunt and cousins in England. They spend the summer outside while her Aunt Penn is in Oslo. Then bombs go off and they are at war with an unnamed assailant. The book outlines their struggles of war and their separation. 
I found it all just a bit too vague. I couldn't stand the writing style, she uses little if any punctuation which adds to the general confusion. There were underlying themes that were never addressed, unfinished metaphors, I just could not get into it, I also had to finish it. I don't know if I can recommend this book or not. So many people really like it, they think Daisy is sharp and witty where I think she is dull and sullen, but we are talking about a 15 year old here. I like weird books but I just can't in good conscience hype this one up. There is honestly so much more to this book that I don't want to give away to people who would like to read it. 
image

Have you read this book? What did you think? Am I missing something?  Have you seen the movie? What should I read next?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...