Apparently you all wanted to know everything that I made over the weekend! Rather than send out many emails I'll just put everything up here! Feel free to leave a comment if you want more! So we started with Corn Salsa and Guacamole but the whole thing really starts with the pork. Dr. Chris did the honors of making the pork for everyone. We had 2 kinds; a more Mexican style one and a more Carolina style one.
In Chris's own words:
In Chris's own words:
Carolina Pulled Pork:
5‐6 lbs Pork Shoulder
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
BBQ Sauce (ie. Sweet Baby Rays)
Lots of Rub (ie. Butt Rub or Killer Hogz Rub)
1. Give that butt a good rubbin'
2. Place in Crock Pot or Dutch Oven with Apple Cider Vinegar
3. Slow cook 6‐8 hrs (turn periodically so that all parts get some time in the juices)
4. Pour off juices and save
5. Pull apart with forks or hands (may need gloves for the heat)
6. Mix in healthy portions of saved juices and BBQ sauce to taste
Carnitas - Pulled Pork Tacos:
3 lb boneless pork loin roast, cut into large (3-4 inch) pieces (do NOT trim away the small amount of fat)
*2 tsp Kosher salt
*4 tsp ancho chile powder
*2 tsp ground cumin
*1 tsp garlic powder
*1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
*1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
(*Or just replace all that with 3.5 tablespoons taco seasoning!)
1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, or enough to cover the bottom of the pot
12 fluid oz Mexican style beer, (Corona or Modelo)
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1 cup Mexican Cooking Sauce (This was on sale at Harris Teeter at the time)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine salt and spices in a small bowl. Spread spice mixture onto a plate and rub that butt!
3. Heat oil in a dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add in the seasoned pork pieces, and sear all sides until browned (about 1 minute per side). Remove pork from the dutch oven.
4. Pour in the beer and scrape the bottom of the dutch oven to deglaze and release the browned bits of pork. Add in the lime juice, and bring mixture to a boil.
5. Add in the seared pork. Cover dutch oven and place in oven for 1/2 hour.
6. Remove lid, turn pork pieces over, and return to oven uncovered for about 1 1/2 hours, or until the pork is fork-tender, turning the pork pieces 1-2 times during the cooking process.
7. Shred pork right into the sauce using two forks. Toss the pulled pork with the reduced sauce and add the Mexican Cooking Sauce.
Finally I made
Cilantro Lime Rice:
1 Tablespoon butter
1/4 cup Cilantro - Chopped
1-2 Limes - Juiced
2/3 Cup Basmati Rice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Cup water
Melt butter in small pan, once melted add dry rice to pan to coat rice. Add water and salt and bring to boil. Once at a boil reduce to low heat and simmer for 20 minutes. While the rice is cooking chop your cilantro and juice your lime(s). Once the rice is cooked, let it cool then combine all ingredients and serve!
The only other thing I made was Ranch dressing from a packet, but subbed Greek yogurt for mayo.
On this taco:
Tortilla | Carolina Pork | Coleslaw | Corn Salsa | Chipotle Tabasco | Ranch Dressing | Cheese | Rice and Guac on the side | Enjoy!!