Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Six Year Old Feminest

I follow PostSecret on BlogLovin and I've followed it for a long time. I've never sent one in, I guess I don't think I'm extraordinarily interesting or creative enough to send one in. {Then why do you have a blog dummy?} Either way, I saw this one on Sunday and thought it was so interesting. 
Why is this so interesting? Because when I was a kid I would always cut these off my undies. I flat out refused to wear anything with a frill, bow, pink, those little roses sometimes. Polka dots? Gag me. Florals? Sick. I would wear these things on occasion to appease the masses...
Look how happy I am!
Eventually I grew to love all things girly but I still have that want of masculinity, the power, the need to be taken seriously and not just thought of as a little girl. (I don't think that's what I was going for as a kid but you get it.) 
I think and hope a lot of women now struggle with feminism and what that means. I certainly do. Why does a bow make you a small child? How is it taking away from your power? It doesn't make you any less smart and it doesn't make you any more or less of a woman. I think you can still be a strong, powerful woman and dress like one. Doesn't mean you have to.
Image is an interesting thing and it is something that, when it comes down to it, can mean a lot in the world. 
There are a ton of conversations about what makes a feminist 
This has taken a very interesting turn. I guess that's what happens when you just start writing. I actually wrote a whole lot more but no one really likes to read rambling. What are your thoughts on feminism? Were you a girly girl or a tom boy? If you're a man, I'd like to hear your thoughts as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...