Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Get out of the building!

Well that was terrifying. If you didn't know there was an earthquake yesterday the shook most of the eastern coast. I heard from South Carolina to New York. It was a 5.8 magnitude quake that centered in central Virginia. I don't know if I have ever been in an earthquake before. I think there have been several tiny tremors but that's about it.

Yesterday around 1:50 I thought someone was shaking the back of my chair to get my attention. Then everyone in the office was looking off to the left and I thought maybe one of the trucks setting up for the Grand Prix had run into the building. Then the building moved again and I thought of course, go to a door frame. Well, our entire office is glass and surrounded by glass. During this time my boss comes out of his office to see what's going on then he tells everyone, "Out of the building. Everyone get out of the building." It was scary, but he was calm and we all fast walked out of the building onto the street. We could see the windows in the buildings around us still moving. We stood outside for about 30 minutes, most of us with nothing but the clothes on our backs some, even without shoes! (We have a shower facility in our office.) Luckily, it was a gorgeous day and there were no aftershocks that we felt.
I may have wanted to cry a couple times mostly because I missed my family and knew that if I were in Charlotte I would have at least had my dad with me and my mom and Noelle close by. It made me think back to 9/11 when I was in high school and my dad was working in DC and Noelle was away at school in Richmond. How scary it was that Noelle was far away, she was only about 3 hours away but it was still hard to have her be so far and maybe we wouldn't know where she was if something happend. How scary it is when you're in a situation like that you just want to save yourself and you don't think to bring your purse or anything with you. I guess that's how people get so lost in crisis situations. You have no form of identity and who knows how incapacitated you are? Okay I'm a drama queen. But it was scary okay!?

In Charlotte everyone was alright, Noelle didn't even feel it! Our DC office was evacuated as well and apparently the Washington Monument was damaged. But we're all safe and sound and now we know what to do next time!

When I got home I just wanted to relax! Chris got the rest of the day off and got his haircut and I caught him relaxing on the deck when I got home. I snuggled up in some comfies with some snacks and a glass of wine while Chris made me dinner. I took advantage and did a little online scouting for some things I may need to add to my list of things I need!


Cheers to a good night and solid ground! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...